Lesson 2 of 4: Take Action
- You now know what you want to achieve in the next 30 days (your goal).
- You know what three Desired Emotional States you need to achieve your goal.
- You’ve assigned one Desired Emotional State to each one of your Performance Enhancing Colognes®.
If you haven’t completed these three steps, please go back and retake the previous lesson.
Now it’s time to take action, using a powerful psychological technique called visualization – creating a mental picture in your mind of the goal you want to achieve.
Studies show that when you visualize an emotion, your brain activates the same regions as when you experience that emotion in real life. Thinking back to a major milestone in your life and recreating these images and feelings helps rewire your brain to perform that way again.
“Visualization and action are intimately connected, involving the motor cortex. Thinking about our body doing something – raising an arm or walking forward – activates the motor cortex directly.”
– Srini Pillay, assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and author of Life Unlocked: 7 Revolutionary Lessons to Overcome Fear.
How To Leverage The Power Of Visualization:
- Select your first D.E.S. (for example, ‘confidence’).
- Find a comfortable place with no distractions.
- Close your eyes and go back to a moment in your life when you felt that way. For example, if your D.E.S. is ‘confidence,’ this can be any memory of feeling naturally confident under any circumstances.
- Relive the memory in your mind until you begin to experience the emotion you felt in real life (for example, ‘confident’).
- If you’re having a hard time visualizing at first, don’t worry. It’s common to struggle when you first begin, but like most tasks, the more you practice, the easier it gets.
- You only need to visualize one D.E.S now – you will come back to this lesson and visualize your second and third D.E.Ss once you’ve completed this section.
Once you’ve visualized your first D.E.S., click below to move on to the next lesson.