Setting SMART goals is extremely important so that you are as productive as possible.
Every time you set a goal, you must ensure it is Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time-Bound.
- This can apply to your personal life (e.g. New Years Resolutions!)
- This is most important in your business life!
Your goal should be clear and specific, otherwise you won’t be able to focus your efforts or feel truly motivated to achieve it. Ask yourself:
- What do I want to accomplish?
- Why is this goal important?
It’s important to have measurable goals, so that you can track your progress and stay motivated. Ask yourself:
- What am I measuring?
- How will I measure it?
- How will I know when it is accomplished?
Your goal also needs to be realistic and attainable to be successful. In other words, it should stretch your abilities but still remain possible. Ask yourself:
- How can I accomplish this goal?
- How realistic is the goal, based on other constraints, such as financial factors?
This step is about ensuring that your goal matters to you and that it also aligns with other relevant goals. Ask yourself:
- Is this worthwhile?
- Is this the right time?
- Am I the right person to reach this goal?
- How does this fall in line with the company / my personal objectives?
Every goal needs a target date, so that you have a deadline to focus on and something to work toward. Ask yourself:
- When will I achieve this?
- What are the milestones along the way (so I can check I’m succeeding?)